Remember when choosing the right stair company for the right project, it’s better to contact us at the inception of the design when you have the luxury of options and time available. Unfortunately, the longer you wait the more you will limit your choices, create unnecessary expenses or delays, and it will limit your design capabilities.
If you aren’t sure, no need to worry! Feel free to ask us questions and we will provide you the answers. It is our responsibility to ensure we are up to date with today’s current design technology and building requirements. We will walk you through every step of the way. If you are not able to find what you are looking for in this section, please do not hesitate to call or submit a form with any questions you may have. Choose the right stair or railing company!
What is the timeline and process on delivery and installation of stairs?
You will receive notification (Phone, E-mail or Fax) that your stairs are ready for delivery and installation one day prior. This ensures the site is available and ready for the installation. Should the site not be ready a mutually agreeable alternate time will be arranged. Your pricing includes 1 (one) attempt to install but while on site if we are unable to install due to deficiencies, access to entrance or the site is not ready for the stairs or rail then an additional charge will be added to your invoice (see contract notes)
What is the timeline and process on delivery and installation of railing?
Like stairs, you will receive notification. The railing installation unlike stairs will take more time and site logistics. During the day of installation there should be little to no traffic of other trades due to safety concerns. The installation process is labour intensive and the following points should be observed.
- Workers are to work inside and in relative proximity to the job. Not in the garage or patio unless the weather permits and these areas are convenient to our workers.
- Finished flooring and household items are to be covered or moved by others so the railing crew can work uninhibited. This is a dusty job and workers must wear proper safety attire. Our workers will perform a general clean, up with a complete cleaning being required and performed by others. A railing installation should be considered construction work.
- If you design your pickets or railing before the installation you can contact your pm or scheduling desk to arrange for your forces to pick up the components. If you choose to have us deliver the material an additional fee will be assessed, (see contract for details).
Can you provide information about the materials used for stair and rails?
The material used has been selected to meet several standards. They included the materials quality and availability. Terms to be familiar with when considering materials are;
- Carpet Grade Tread: Dimensional lumber (spruce) and or plywood.
- Paint Grade: Applies to stringers, risers and treads. Material varies from solid Poplar to Birch veneer.
- Oak: Applies to stringers, risers and treads. The term Oak refers to flat cut Red Oak. Other species are available but unless specified, the term Oak will refer to flat cut Red Oak.
- Circular stairs will have plywood core stringers with the selected material veneer covering.
- The material/components used to assemble a stair (wedges, glue blocks, kick blocks, etc.) will not necessarily be made of any one or particular material.
- Please review our website for available materials, if it is not located on our website please ask your sales representative.
I am still not sure what material is best for my stairs/railing?
Choosing the variety of hardwood which is best suited to your home or commercial project adds an additional level of ownership which can be enjoyed well into the future, knowing that the choice you’ve made reflects not only practicality and beauty, but also personality. After all, the hardwood you choose will define the living area or working area for a long time to come.
In order to help you in this process, click here to view a list of species and their descriptions.
What if a repair is necessary?
On occasion your stair or railing may require a repair. Should you come across a deficiency please notify your sales representative. Depending on the nature of your concern, your representative may arrange a site visit to assess a plan of action. Whether a site visit is required or not a repair representative will be scheduled to address your concern. Remember that your warranty starts once your installation/product has been paid in full.
Who takes care of the cleanup after the installation is complete?
For all work performed by Royal Oak we will provide a basic clean up, however a complete or thorough cleaning will be required and performed by others (customer responsibility). For capping projects only, Royal Oak will also tarp off the immediate work area.
There will be a lot of traffic on my stairs and I am afraid of scratches or dents. What species of wood should I use?
When determining the species of wood to use for your stairs, another consideration besides colors, grain, style is the hardness. Therefore we would refer you to the Janka test. The Janka test measures the force required to embed an 11.28 millimeter (0.444 inch) steel ball into wood to half its diameter. To learn more about the Janka Test, click here.
What is the difference between Quarter Sawn vs Plain Sawn vs Rift Sawn wood?
The best way to describe this is by showing a diagram on how the wood is cut for this effect. Please note this is also a factor in determining the cost of your stairs. Click here to view the diagram and differences.